Monday, July 23, 2007

Meeslepend


Well, the first review of Squeaky's new album is in, and it's written by my mother, a classically trained vocalist and pianist. She is Dutch, having lived in the Netherlands until emigrating to the U.S. in her thirties. Here is what she says:

Hi Harry, Finally, with Ron's help I found your CD and listened to all the songs. They are very intriguing to me . I listened with text exposed so that I could follow all the lyrics! Thank you so much for bringing it over! My favorite one by far is of course Constellation but also Sparrow, Rocky Records and believe it or not Urban Sherpa. Sherpa was a word I never knew until now. The music itself is grabbing, innovative and often to me very surprising with it's beat and shifting beat only to stop in mid-beat or to underscore cynical meanings? Do I have that right?. I felt that the words were well pronounced and that they tended to be close to how they are pronounced in the black culture. I hear never any other bands like this so I am a total novice to it. There is a heartbeat in all the songs that I find grabbing--"meeslepend" would be the Dutch word for it. The audience gets absorbed- even somebody who is not at all familiar with the genre. The instruments all sound good and well-controlled. I think that they are more harmonious than songs in the past. The singing I would describe as passionate recitative. I also like the visual presentation of the page. It is too bad that grandma has not been here to hear you Harry- she would have enjoyed it very much. The musical genes keep on creeping. Thanks for sharing all this. Love, Mom

A lot of people have written reviews of Squeaky records, most of them have been ill-informed and have missed the point. Sometimes it takes a Dutch lady with no experience with rock music whatsoever to really get to the heart of the matter. Thanks Mom!
Incidentally, my mom was reading the lyrics on a website that I set up: the lyrics are here.

H/SQ


No comments: