Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Who We Are.

I think it's safe to say that not everyone in Gainesville (or otherwise) understands where our music is coming from. Here's someone who does: Aaron, currently in MD.
He said:

I don't think I ever put my finger on why I always liked you guys. Live, you're a wall and you don't sound like anyone else. But on record, at a quieter volume, I finally figured it out. You guys steal some of your aesthetic from Archers of Loaf and Sonic Youth, but you're a pop band. Squeaky plays pop music. You have choruses that lift with big hooks, you like ooh's and aah's, you have call and response vocals and your songs are short. Squeaky is a pop band. I hope you understand that I am paying you the highest compliment I can give. I don't like bands, I like songs. And to me, the definition of a pop band is a band focuses on songs. The Velvet Underground at their least meandering, Sonic Youth when they put down the goddam screwdrivers, Bob Dylan when he keeps it brief and Nirvana are all pop bands. They dabbled and experimented and annoyed the casual listener, but at their core, they understood how to write a song. You guys have songs in spades. And that is why I will always be a fan.

On a side note, "it's just noise but it's our noise" is the best self-referential band description ever. It's way better that "We were just another band out of Boston."

Thank you, Aaron.

No comments: